Any savvy law business or lawyer in todays 24/7 online world recognizes the need for targeted visibility across the Google Search platform. Most law businesses know that this requires optimizing their law firm website and utilizing Google Ads. But what most law businesses aren’t aware of is that there is a third entity that also needs optimizing for search: their Google My Business listing.
Officially known as your Google My Business Profile, this powerful SEO signal is a dynamic snapshot of your business that highlights your best features and enables potential customers to quickly find, learn about, and engage with you—all from the SERP.
The best part?
It’s completely free.
Google My Business (GMB) is a free tool offered by Google for businesses and organizations to manage their online presence across Google properties such as Google Search and Google Maps.
Google My Business promises to help local companies get more visibility (and search engine accuracy) than ever before.
By claiming, verifying and editing your business information on Google My Business, you help potential and existing customers find you easily when they search for something you offer. GMB also gives you the opportunity to share the story of your business with your customers.
Optimizing your Google My Business (GMB) listing is not a difficult thing to do. Even small changes and optimizations to GMB can have long lasting effects on your overall Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts.
- Claim or create a Google My Business listing
- Verify your listing to prove it’s for a legitimate business
- Setup users with proper access to your account
- Optimize your business information (name, address, phone, hours, categories, etc.)
- Add photos, videos and virtual tours
- Add products, services or menu as appropriate.
- Pre-populate Q&A on your listing.
- Setup a welcome offer and use Google Posts regularly.
- Consider enabling Google Assistant and / or direct messaging.
- Consider enabling Reserve with Google if appropriate.
- Create a GMB website as another citation for your business.
- Link your GMB listing to Google Ads and /or Google Merchant Center.
- Encourage, monitor and respond to reviews.
- Check and update your listing regularly.
- Get support for GMB questions, problems or suspensions.